Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] tab-width considered less effective than some might think

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 14:59:51 -0400
Gerald Combs wrote:

Visual C++ defaults to tabs for indentation with tab stops every 4
characters. I'm not sure if these settings can be overridden without
changing the user's global preferences.

<snip>

I'm assuming that these settings are global since there doesn't appear
to be a way to tell VS to apply tab and indentation settings on a
per-file or per-project basis. I'm also assuming that telling everyone
to change their global preferences is a little presumptuous. If these
aren't valid then I don't have a problem mandating a particular
indentation style.

For everyone on -dev that uses the VS editor, is switching over to 4
spaces for indentation a big deal?

Right you are ! (Now I understand).

Some more Googling shows:

1. Microsoft says "wait until VS10.." for per-project settings.
(VS10 is apparently currently available as beta).

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=272773

2. There's a posting as to a macro to do solution-based settings for (I think) VS9. I haven't tried it yet ....

http://geekswithblogs.net/sdorman/archive/2007/04/25/111981.aspx