Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] wireshark fails when I build it

From: Brian Oleksa <oleksab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 11:05:35 -0400
Graham

I am not sure what else to do. So I was going to reinstall cygwin and see what happens.
The only thing that I noticed is that at the "select packages screen"....the versions that I currently have are 'NEWER'
than the ones that cygwin is going to install.

Do I really want to go backwards in version numbers...?? (see perl version below).

I guess this would not make any sense to go backwards.......but I am just not sure what else to do anymore.

Thanks,
Brian

Graham Bloice wrote:
Brian Oleksa wrote:

Graham

I completely rebooted my machine (just to make sure I was not using the
same command prompt)...tried again (it chugged along for a while)...
then it broke. Remember...I am not even trying the 64 bit stuff yet.

All I am trying to do is check out the new source and build the 32 bit
version before I jump into the 64 bit stuff again.

The reason I had updat source is because what Gerald stated.....in my
old source tree in the config.namke file it specified that "only" 32 bit
was available.

So this is where I am at.....I will continue to try and track down why
this is not working before I completely break a perfect environment that
works with old sources.

Also....this is what I did for the old sources......it defiantly doesn't
work if I do not do this....but are these steps in right order...???

First prepare command prompt:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin>vcvars32.bat

Run the perl programs in a Cygwin terminal:
cd C:
cd wireshark-<version>

$ perl make-version.pl
$ perl perlnoutf.pl make-authors-short.pl < AUTHORS > AUTHORS-SHORT
$ perl perlnoutf.pl make-authors-format.pl < AUTHORS-SHORT >
AUTHORS-SHORT-FORMAT

(go to "prepaired"cmd window)

cd to wireshark
then do
nmake -f Makefile.nmake all

Do you have to do this when you build....????

Anyway.....here is the error that I am getting:

 perl perlnoutf.pl make-authors-short.pl < ../AUTHORS > AUTHORS-SHORT
  24275 [main] perl 3980 child_copy: linked dll data write copy failed,
0xBD2000
..0xBD2370, done 0, windows pid 3980, Win32 error 487

Any ideas why make-authors-short.pl appears to be breaking....???

In the meantime...if you think of anything else...please let me know.

Thanks,
Brian

Nope, I don't need to do the extra perl step, it works in the build
fine.  The error sounds like an older cygwin error due to clashes
between cygwin.dll versions.  Do you have a cygwin window open when
running the build?