Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] wireshark fails when I build it

From: Brian Oleksa <oleksab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 08:25:46 -0400
Graham

I completely rebooted my machine (just to make sure I was not using the same command prompt)...tried again (it chugged along for a while)...
then it broke. Remember...I am not even trying the 64 bit stuff yet.

All I am trying to do is check out the new source and build the 32 bit version before I jump into the 64 bit stuff again.

The reason I had updat source is because what Gerald stated.....in my old source tree in the config.namke file it specified that "only" 32 bit was available.

So this is where I am at.....I will continue to try and track down why this is not working before I completely break a perfect environment that works with old sources.

Also....this is what I did for the old sources......it defiantly doesn't work if I do not do this....but are these steps in right order...???

First prepare command prompt:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin>vcvars32.bat

Run the perl programs in a Cygwin terminal:
cd C:
cd wireshark-<version>

$ perl make-version.pl
$ perl perlnoutf.pl make-authors-short.pl < AUTHORS > AUTHORS-SHORT
$ perl perlnoutf.pl make-authors-format.pl < AUTHORS-SHORT > AUTHORS-SHORT-FORMAT

(go to "prepaired"cmd window)

cd to wireshark
then do
nmake -f Makefile.nmake all

Do you have to do this when you build....????

Anyway.....here is the error that I am getting:

perl perlnoutf.pl make-authors-short.pl < ../AUTHORS > AUTHORS-SHORT
24275 [main] perl 3980 child_copy: linked dll data write copy failed, 0xBD2000
..0xBD2370, done 0, windows pid 3980, Win32 error 487

Any ideas why make-authors-short.pl appears to be breaking....???

In the meantime...if you think of anything else...please let me know.

Thanks,
Brian

Graham Bloice wrote:
Brian Oleksa wrote:
Graham

What is weird about the hole thing is that I kept my "old" sources in tact just in case the new sources blow up (like they did).

I can still build the old sources using the current set up on this same machine.

Plus I can also run "verify tools" with no problem with the new source code...but as soon as I build it....it blows up.

I am hoping wireshark is not that finicky between different source trees...???

I guess I will take you advice and uninstall perl and reinstall it (or something).....but again....the perl that is installed works fine with my older source tree build....
so why wouldn't it work fine with they new source tree build...????

I followed the directions to the "T" other than reinstalling all the apps again...(like perl, python, cygwin...etc)...as there should not be a need to as they do indeed already work.

Just wanted to see what your thoughts where before I start messing with things that appear to be working correctly.

Thanks,
Brian
I only have one source tree that I compile in, but I can't see why there should be problems with more than one. Something is causing problems with perl execution, maybe you could track down what that is rather than just wipe out and re-install. I don't know what it could be, possibly a cygwin problem?

Just checking that you are closing the command prompt and opening a new one and running the appropriate vcvarsxxx.bat before building the different versions? You can't use one command prompt for both.
--
Regards,

Graham Bloice