Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Use of User DLT

From: Mahesh K <mks_97@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 17:44:22 +0000
Folks,

I would like to use Wireshark to decode  non-network data. To do this, I have created a wireshark plugin. Here are some snippets of the plugin:

void proto_register_ldm(void)
{
   module_t *module;
   if (proto_ldm == -1)
   {
      proto_ldm = proto_register_protocol (
         "Ldm Protocol", /* name */
         "LDM",      /* short name */
         "ldm"          /* abbrev */
      );

}

void proto_reg_handoff_ldm(void)
{

ldm_handle = create_dissector_handle(dissect_ldm, proto_ldm);
dissector_add(wtap_encap, WTAP_ENCAP_USER0, ldm_handle);

..}

I have also created a pcap file for the sample data I want to decode in the following manner:

od  -tx1 -v ldmData.bin | text2pcap -l 147 - ldmData.pcap

i.e. I am using DLT USER0 (to match up with plugin).

Now when I try to configure DLT User 0 in wireshark (Edit->Preferences->Protocols>DLT_USER->Edit Encapsulations Table
and adding an entry to decode DLT 147 using the "ldm" plugin)

I get the following error "No such proto:ldm". Now I do see that the ldm dissector is successfully registered.

Any ideas on what is the issue here? Thanks,

--Mahesh

NEW mobile Hotmail. Optimized for YOUR phone. Click here.