Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] the feature of limiting packet size

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 01:07:34 -0700

On Jul 17, 2009, at 10:21 PM, Joshua (Shiwei) Zhao wrote:

I did try to set the limit to big value, such as 200 or even 400 bytes, but it still fails.

For *any* network, including Ethernet, the only way to be *guaranteed* not to get *any* "Packet size limited during captures" exceptions is to set the limit to a value greater than or equal to the MTU on the network plus the largest possible link-layer header - and bear in mind that, if you're capturing with radio headers, "the link-layer header" includes the radio information, so "the largest possible link-layer header" means "the largest possible {radiotap,AVS,Prism} header followed by the largest possible 802.11 header".

And, again, as I said, "it will throw an exception if the packet was bigger than XX bytes and Wireshark tries to dissect all the bytes in the packet" - it could well be that all 400 bytes are stuff that Wireshark will dissect.