Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Changing how the fields are displayed in theoutput of dissec

From: "Swapnil Barai (sbarai)" <sbarai@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 16:28:10 -0700
* Only last 3 bits

-----Original Message-----
From: wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Swapnil Barai
(sbarai)
Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 4:26 PM
To: Developer support list for Wireshark
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Changing how the fields are displayed in
theoutput of dissector

Hey,

So in the following code which is part of void
proto_register_PROTOABBREV(void), what should I enter in the fieldname.
I am asking this because in the printf format argument in the call to
proto_tree_add_*_format() I have already mentioned what I want to
display.

static hf_register_info hf[] = {
		{ &hf_PROTOABBREV_FIELDABBREV,
			{ "FIELDNAME",
"PROTOABBREV.FIELDABBREV",
			FIELDTYPE, FIELDBASE, FIELDCONVERT, BITMASK,
			"FIELDDESCR", HFILL }
		}
	};

Also the field that I am trying to manipulate just occupies 3 bits of an
octet. Thus I am using proto_tree_bytes_format() as I could not find any
other format function suitable. In the start_ptr argument of this I am
passing tvb_get_ptr(tvb,offset,length). Is this start_ptr right coz my
field doesn't occupy the whole byte, only last 3 bytes?

Thanks
Swapnil