Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] New packet list: Optimize memory usage

From: Stephen Fisher <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 21:52:49 -0600
On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 09:48:14PM +0200, Jakub Zawadzki wrote:

> This patch (Proof of Concept) removes allocating memory for columns
> data, and makes them 'dynamic' (packets redissected when column data
> needed)

> I haven't seen any visible lags while scrolling, CPU usage is higher
> but for GUI is still fluent :)

Thanks for your help with the new packet list!!

How much higher are you seeing?  I experimented with re-dissecting a
while back when I first started one of my versions of the new packet
list and saw significant CPU utilization because whenever you even drag
the mouse arrow up/down along the displayed columns, it is constantly
updating (when using data cell functions at least).  I also wondered
what problems this would cause with packets that "depend" on each other
- conversation tracking, request/response tracking, etc.  I'm not
discounting your idea though - let's try working with it to see where we
can get.

BTW, I'm working on a cell data function to grab data from the packet
list store and dynamically display it when those rows are needed on the
screen.  This also, as Guy mentioned, would make changes such as
changing the time display format virtually instantaneous.  I'll commit
it as soon as I get some more of it working such as coloring rows per
coloring rules.

Steve