Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] build wireshark on Windows xp with VC 6.0 failed

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 07:38:47 +0200
Fenggen Jia schrieb:
When building the latest wireshark source from SVN(28879), the following problem occurs:
"
mt: unknown option -- n
usage: mt [-V] [-f device] operation [count]
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'mt.exe' : return code '0x1'
Stop.
"
The mt version i'm using is below:
"C:\cygwin\bin>mt.exe -V
mt V2.3.2, Corinna Vinschen, Jan 14 2009"

PS: I'm using VC 6.0 on windows XP.
Anyone has idea on it?

Well, mt is simply not needed to build WS with VC 6.0.

mt.exe is used to integrate an .manifest file into an .exe file, a problem not existing with VC 6.0 - the appearance of .manifest files appeared in later versions. It shouldn't be called in the (your) build process.

The mt you're using is something completely different, coming from cygwin and is used to mount symlinks (IIRC).

Unfortunately, you stripped off all the lines before the error happens, so we know an error happens on your machine, but not where in the compile process. Most of the developers today no longer uses VC 6.0, so it's pretty difficult to reproduce for us.

Regards, ULFL