Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Byte Stream Display in WS

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 11:56:34 -0700

On Jun 26, 2009, at 11:46 AM, Jonathan Walker (c) wrote:

I was just wondering which structure in the dissect_ ( ) function has to do with displaying the bytes (hex and ascii) below the GUI tree?

The only thing a dissector can do is

1) indicate which *particular* part of the data it was handed corresponds to a given field, so that when the field is selected, the bytes in question are highlighted;

2) if it's dissecting data constructed from the raw data (reassembly, decryption, decompression, etc.), construct a new tvbuff to hold the constructed data, and make it an additional tab in the packet bytes pane.