Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Meaning of packet_info.p2p_dir ?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 10:15:58 -0700

On Jun 19, 2009, at 5:29 PM, Michael Lum wrote:

I was thinking mainly in terms of SCCP.

There are protocols on top of SCCP where the receiver/sender is
important.

Currently the SCCP code is setting the direction to SENT for which ever
point code originates the SCCP Connection Request.
Which is logical if you are trying to indicate who initated the
connection
but it is not helpful for some of the protocols on top.

Then perhaps there need to be separate direction indications - and perhaps some of them should use the pinfo->private_data pointer.

For example:

OTA (IS-638)
ANSI-A (IOS)
SCCP

The two entities involved, from the SCCP standpoint, are
the BSC and an MSC.

Q.711 speaks of "peer-to-peer communication", and doesn't seem to indicate that SCCP has any notion of particular roles for the endpoints (just as neither TCP nor UDP do), so presumably there's nothing inherent to SCCP to indicate which endpoint is which.

Is there anything in the A interface to indicate that? I presume there's nothing in IS-638 to indicate that.