Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Raw Fibre Channel dissector

From: kahou lei <kahou82@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 15:13:04 -0700
Hi Guy,

My fibre channel captured is in pcap format. What I want to do is to dissect this file with fibre channel dissector. In this case, do I still need to write code to read/write the file? Or just create a new DLT value for Fibre Channel and then register the existing fibre channel dissector with it?

Thanks a lot,
Kahou

> Is there an existing DLT value that I can dissect raw fibre channel
> packet?

No.

> I saw there is a fibre channel dissector (packet-fc.c) but I cannot
> find a DLT value corresponse to it.

It's used to dissect FC encapsulated in various lower-level network
protocols.

> If there is no such DLT value, can you give me some direction on how
> to extend my local wireshark build so that the I can use the fibre
> channel dissector?

Presumably by "use the fibre channel dissector" you mean that you have
Fibre Channel captures of some sort and you want Wireshark to be able
to read them?

If so, then you would have to:

       add a WTAP_ENCAP_FIBRE_CHANNEL value to the list of WTAP_ENCAP_
values in wiretap/wtap.h;

       add a WTAP_FILE_ value for whatever type of file it is to the list of
WTAP_FILE_ values in wiretap/wtap.h;

       add a module in the wiretap directory to read those files (and
possibly write them);

       add an entry for WTAP_ENCAP_FIBRE_CHANNEL to the encap_table_base
table in wiretap/wtap.c;

       add an entry to the dump_open_table_base[] array in wiretap/
file_access.c for the new file type;

       have the Fibre Channel dissector call

               dissector_add("wtap_encap", WTAP_ENCAP_FIBRE_CHANNEL, handle);

       where "handle" is a dissector handle for a dissector that can process
the packets read from the file.