Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Subversion Repository Layout, or, How to Confuse People

From: "Bryant Eastham" <beastham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 12:15:48 -0600
Sorry for the top post (Outlook).

I would argue that it ain't released until it is "released". One could
further argue that the official release should be built from the
location, but I know there are issues related to that.

As for using SVN in this case, it is part of our automated build
process. I can manually trigger a build of Wireshark on all our
supported platforms, independent of whether the release is official or
not (by specifying a URL and revision). True, I do not get the benefit
of compression. However, our build system handles Subversion
repositories nicely, and I (typically) only need to do the
download/build when a new release is made.

My only problem is easily determining what to point our system at (URL,
revision).

Thanks for clarification on releases. I was confused because of the jump
between 1.0.8 and 1.2.0, with a (yet unreleased) 1.1.x.

-Bryant