Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] met an problem when compiling on window xp sp3 32 bit

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 13:41:47 -0700

On Jun 15, 2009, at 8:01 AM, Jeff Morriss wrote:

Some Wireshark source files contain non-ASCII values which the Microsoft
compiler doesn't like.  We've been trying to clean them up but haven't
finished.

...and I've added an item to the "Portability" section of the README.developer file saying "don't use non-ASCII characters in source files".

Development environments don't all use the same character encoding; on UN*X, more and more systems are going with UTF-8, but LANG etc. could still be set for a different encoding, and, on Windows, I don't know whether it's possible to get the compiler/IDEs/etc. to support UTF-8 - UTF-16, perhaps, but I don't know what UN*X compilers/editors/etc. would support that, and I have the impression that if a file isn't UTF-16 it's some non-UTF-8 code page.