Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] wireshark and mozila dehydra

From: yami <yamisoe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 16:32:15 +0800
Hi,

I tried llvm (clang's scan-build) after reading your post.
It is very easy to run scan-build,  and it seems good to find unused statements.
However for finding errors, false positives disappointed me.

I analyzed 4 'API' errors, but only one seems to be real error:
   at color_filter.c:173, variable "filter" might be NULL in 'strstr'.

I randomly choose 28 'logic error' results, such as 'null dereference', 'use of uninitialized value'. But all of them are false positives.

Some common false positive reasons are:
  1. assertions are not respected, scan-build usually assume ptr is NULL in "DISSECTOR_ASSERT(ptr)".
  2. goto statement is not handled correctly. For example, at dumpcap.c:988, variable "magic" is considered uninitialized if read() returns negative integer. But in this case, switch(magic) will not be executed.
  3. TRY is not handled correctly. For example, at packet-dcerpc.c:4204, "pdu_len" is considered uninitialized.