Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] GUI extension

From: Martin Gysel <m.gysel@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 17:36:40 +0200
Hi

For a embedded IEEE802.15.4 sniffer I use wireshark to visualize to
packets. The sniffer receives them and forwards them to a pc in a ip
frame. Now I need a gui to control and configure the sniffer. I have
three different approaches in my mind:
1. use wireshark and extend its gui
2. use wireshark and lua to extend the gui
3. use a completely different gui tool

I would prefer to use either 1 or 2 rather than three because is seems
to be more convenient to only have on tool. But now my question, is
wireshark designed to do such things, I mean is it easy to write such a
widget and integrate it in wireshark  in a seamless way? and is it easy
to build a socket connection to my embedded device? furthermore is it
possible to use the lua gtk bindings to do this all in lua rather than c?

thanks in advance
martin