Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] On Copy as Filter

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 06:28:21 +0200

On 6 jun 2009, at 01:29, didier <dgautheron@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Le samedi 06 juin 2009 à 00:26 +0200, Sake Blok a écrit :
On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 11:55:02PM +0200, didier wrote:
Le dimanche 31 mai 2009 à 11:56 +0200, Sake Blok a écrit :
Hi Jaap (& list),

As the "father" of the "copy as filter" functionality, I would vote for it to be present all the time in the packet details pane (where I use it most). Keeping track of all possible filters for the packet list pane seems like an overkill to me and could be made optional to save memory. Or it should be implemented in a way where it will dynamically be generated. For 1.2.0 I would suggest to just revert the implemented memory-consuming patch and disable the functionality in the packet-list. Then we can decide later to make it either optional of write code that dynamically generate the filter
string on use (if that is at all possible).

Anyone remember why it was changed from dynamically generate?
The SVN log msg doesn't make sense to me.

IIRC, the filter strings were not generated dynamically, they were
generated while building the packet-list, resulting in having the
filters for the last row to be the filters for all rows. But my memory
might not be totally accurate ;-)
It was generated, cf svn  24511 but:
1- didn't work with col_custom
2- use ep_alloc, a bit dangerous?

... Then it was destroyed in rev 24595, while trying to fix bug 2343. Then the feature was repaired in rev 27396, but with bug 3489 for GTK1, which is now repaired too.

attached a modified version which work for me.

Didier

<main.diff>