Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark 1.2.0pre1 is now available

From: Stephen Fisher <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 14:58:11 -0600
On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 02:48:16PM -0400, Maynard, Chris wrote:

> I am experiencing another 1.2pre1 problem.  When trying to create an
> rpm installer on Linux 2.6.18-8.el5 (RHEL5) x86_64 platform, I get the
> following fatal error while compiling the sources via "make
> rpm-package" that I don't get if I simply run "make":
>
> gcc -DINET6 -D_U_="__attribute__((unused))" -g -O2 -Wall -W

> -L/usr/local/lib x86_64 ../tools/lemon/lemon.c   -o ../tools/lemon/lemon
> gcc: x86_64: No such file or directory

Was that library reference supposed to be -L/usr/local/libx86_64 or
something along those lines?  That's the first problem.

> It looks to me like "treat warnings as errors" are disabled by default
> when compiling for Linux, is that right?

The GCC treat warnings as errors feature defaults to on in SVN versions,
but defaults to off in the release versions.

> But somehow not when compiling the rpm package?  If so, then does
> anyone know the easiest way to turn that off for "make rpm-packaging"?
> Or is that not the best solution?

It looks like packaging/rpm/SPECS/wireshark.spec.in runs its own
configure line:

CFLAGS="$RPM_OPT_FLAGS" ./configure --prefix=%prefix --with-ssl=/usr
--with-krb5

I'm not sure off the top of my head how Gerald is disabling the warnings
as errors.  I would think that as long as its done in configure.in, it
would take effect with the line above when building an RPM.  I'm no RPM
expert though, so hopefully someone else can provide input.

Steve