Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] How do I know the wireshark version FROM a plugin dissector

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 14:47:24 -0700

On Jun 1, 2009, at 2:44 PM, wsgd wrote:

There is an additional field into pinfo (1.1.z).
And so, the following fields are not at the same place.

We've never guaranteed that plugins will be binary-compatible between major versions - until 1.0, I don't think we guaranteed binary compatibility between versions at all; I *think* we've maintained binary compatibility between all the 1.0.x versions.

If the plugin in question is wsgd, it really should become part of Wireshark at some point, which would presumably make this not an issue.