Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Linking wireshark.exe --- Error

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 12:38:30 -0700

On May 31, 2009, at 12:14 PM, Anders Broman wrote:

It may be a problem with your path, cygwin link chosen before MS studio.

I doubt it's getting the wrong version of "link"; it appears to be running Microsoft's "link":

        link @C:\DOCUME~1\leo&mik\IMPOST~1\Temp\nm116.tmp
Microsoft (R) Incremental Linker Version 9.00.30729.01
LINK : fatal error LNK1104: impossibile aprire il file 'C: \DOCUME~1\leo'
Impossibile trovare il percorso specificato.

However, if Leonardo's "home directory" (or whatever it's called in Windowsland) is really C:\Documents and Settings\leo&mik or something with an "&" in it, some program might be treating the "&" as a token separator and looking for C:\DOCUME~1\leo rather than C: \DOCUME~1\leo&mik.

This appears to be a bit of a botch in Microsoft's nmake, as I think "@<<" is sort of like a "here document" in UN*X shells, i.e.

	@<<
blah blah blah
<<