Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Generic Plugin

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 10:57:43 -0700

On May 30, 2009, at 11:49 AM, Sachin Gupta wrote:

Please tell me how I can contribute it to Wireshark?

Making the source code available for us to look at, and also making the specification for the XML-based language available, would be a first step.

I hope nothing like this already exist.

There doesn't currently exist a mechanism in the Wireshark source tree to allow a protocol to be specified with a descriptive language and have the specification loaded at run time.

There *does* exist a mechanism for Wireshark, but not currently in the Wireshark tree, to allow that, namely wsgd; ultimately, I'd like to see at least one mechanism in the Wireshark tree, and have the wsgd language be at least one of the specification languages supported by it. (I could see other languages available to have specifications loaded at run time, such as ASN.1, ONC RPC's rpcgen language, one of DCE RPC's IDLs such as PIDL, etc.)