Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Extending wireshark with Python

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 15:36:03 -0700

On May 30, 2009, at 2:31 PM, Sébastien Tandel wrote:

P.S. : I would like to add binpac within this python interpreter. But after having read the paper and thought a bit about the grammar, I think they've used Haskell (or another pure functional language for their compiler).

At least in the Bro 1.4 source, the files in the aux/binpac/src directory are C++ (plus "Flex++" and "Bison++"). The page at

	http://bro-ids.org/wiki/index.php/BinPAC_Compiler

says

Scanning and parsing is done by flex and bison generated code. A user can learn the formal grammar specification from aux/binpac/src/ pac_scan.ll and aux/binpac/src/pac_parse.yy under the Bro source tree.

The BinPAC language *itself* might have adopted some concepts from functional languages, but the translator for the language appears to be Boring Old C++.