Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Question about port registrations

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 09:22:30 -0700

On May 28, 2009, at 6:47 AM, Bryant Eastham wrote:

[Bryant Eastham] Sorry, my bad. I had assumed (not having looked at the code) that the subdissector choice [Bryant Eastham] was managed by Wireshark. Looking at the TCP implementation, I now see the code that [Bryant Eastham] disagree with (although the logic of the decision is stated clearly in the comment).

The logic of the decision is correct - in the general case it would make no sense to, for example, try the source port first and the destination port second for each packet, as that could mean that one direction would be dissected as one protocol and the other direction dissected as another protocol.

*Adding* code to remember the two ports on an initial SYN or SYN+ACK and to, once a dissector is found, make that the dissector for the connection (so that the decision isn't made again for subsequent packets, unless something explicitly changes the dissector - e.g., for SMTP turning into SMTP-over-TLS), would make sense.

[Bryant Eastham] I also note that the dissector is already keeping a conversation per session (as best [Bryant Eastham] it can), and so the recommendation would be to keep track of the direction if it is known, [Bryant Eastham] and to use that direction to modify the port choice to prefer the “server” port. It seems [Bryant Eastham] that the decision need only be made once, when the session conversation data [Bryant Eastham] structure is created. The conversation would then contain the port that will be used [Bryant Eastham] for all subdissector calls in that session. If the first packet in the session does not [Bryant Eastham] indicate direction then the existing “lower port” logic would be used. [Bryant Eastham] Not knowing the details of TCP (thankfully) the only part I would be unclear on is [Bryant Eastham] whether from a single packet you can make any determination as to the “direction”,

In the general case, no.  For a SYN or SYN+ACK packet, yes.

[Bryant Eastham] or whether it is possible to distinguish from a single packet whether the session is
[Bryant Eastham] beginning.

Yes - a packet with SYN set and ACK not set is the very first packet of the session, and a packet with SYN and ACK set is the second packet of the session, a reply to the first packet. See section 3.4, "Establishing a connection", of RFC 793.