Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark 1.2.0pre1 is now available

From: "Maynard, Chris" <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 00:48:24 -0400
I tried compiling wireshark 1.2 pre1 on Windows using VS2008EE.  It
failed.
Here's the error:

tvbuff.c(45) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'zlib.h': No
such file or directory

I downloaded the source, extracted it, modified config.nmake to change
MSVC_VARIANT from MSVC2008 to MSVC2008EE, then ran:
nmake -f makefile.nmake setup
nmake -f makefile.nmake distclean
nmake -f makefile.nmake

Did I miss something or is there a patch to tvbuff.c not part of the 1.2
branch?

Also, the release notes for 1.2 at
http://www.wireshark.org/docs/relnotes/wireshark-1.2.0.html indicates:
	* Official Windows packages are now built using Microsoft Visual
C++ 2008 SP1.

... but it doesn't specifically say whether support for VS6 is dropped
or not.  I have not been able to build under VS6 for a long time, and I
know there was some discussion on the wireshark mailing lists about it,
so I'm just wondering:
-> Is VS6 still supported with 1.2?
-> If yes, any hints on how to get it work?
-> If not, are there any plans to support it?
-> If no plans to support VS6 anymore, should it be mentioned in the
above release notes and/or elsewhere?

Thanks.
- Chris

[snip]
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this email are confidential
and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient. If you receive this
email in error, please delete it from your system immediately and
notify us either by email, telephone or fax. You should not copy,
forward, or otherwise disclose the content of the email.