Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] capturing on multiple interfaces

From: Tyson Key <tyson.key@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 19:01:50 +0100
Hi. I'm not sure what the problem was, although changing the directory to the directory that the capture files are to be stored in, and doing "sudo ../wireshark-1.1.4-SVN-28436/dumpcap -n -s 0 -w Wifi3 -i wlan0" did the trick nicely.

A great job with the implementation by the way, so far. I managed to create an ersatz multi-link-type file by cat-ing together a file with 802.11 packets, one with USB packets, and one with Linux Cooked packets from a PPP device, and Wireshark handled them perfectly (barring some timestamp strangeness - the appended packets have negative timestamps, although I'd expect that sort of behaviour, given that there are multiple "reference" timestamps, and an issue with the USB dissector (gives "Warn Dissector bug, protocol USB, in packet 104: packet-usb.c:1702: failed assertion "DISSECTOR_ASSERT_NOT_REACHED"" although it's probably a known issue)), if anyone's interested.

Thanks,
Tyson.

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 6:51 PM, Michael Tüxen <Michael.Tuexen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On May 21, 2009, at 7:24 PM, Tyson Key wrote:

> Hi again, Michael. Probably a stupid question, and I'm not sure if
> it's a bug or not, but any idea why I'd get "The file to which the
> capture would be saved ("../pcapng/U1") could not be opened:
> Permission denied." when trying to write a pcap-ng file to any
> directory other than the default one (/tmp), even as root, and when
> a directory has it's permission bits set to 777?
Not sure what the problem could be. I can run
./dumpcap -n -w test.pcapng -i lo0 -p
without any problem...