Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Warning/error messages when running Wireshark

From: Stephen Fisher <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 11:22:26 -0600
On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 07:32:49AM +0200, Joerg Mayer wrote:

> I'm getting a bunch or warnings/errors/criticals when running
> Wireshark. I find them irritating - could someone with gtk knowledge
> could look into them please?

I'll work on these..

> In there is also a warning message by dumpcap that seems quite
> unnecessary (useless?) to me - at least when I run wireshark with the
> "-r" option. That may be something to be done before 1.2.

Is it this message?

  dumpcap: There are no interfaces on which a capture can be done

Dumpcap is printing this error through the cmdarg_err() function.  When
dumpcap is run as a capture child of Wireshark, it sends the special
format messages via pipes back to Wireshark.  However, when Wireshark is
just checking the interface list, it doesn't appear to run dumpcap as a
capture child since Wireshark isn't ready to listen for any errors
dumpcap produces.  Compounding this problem is the fact that going to
the interfaces in the preferences makes dumpcap print this message
again, when it should just be ignored.

Steve