Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 28335: /trunk/docbook/wsug_src/ /tru

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 09:12:47 -0400
>>>  In some cases, remove option descriptions since the text
>>>   just repeats the help output.

Poor choice of words on my part: The help output is actually included in the WSUG. I agree completely that one should only need to look in one place for information.

When I started to update the WSUG, I noticed that, in actuality, certain of the text in the WSUG describing the specific options for several of the individual programs repeated the program help text almost literally.

Since the help text for those programs is actually included in the WSUG, it seemed reasonable to not repeat things. (I updated the help text included in the WSUG with the current help text).

In one or two cases where the text I removed was a bit better than the help output, I revised the help output in the program.

As far as I know, I removed only text which repeated the help file output already in the WSUG and not any of the additional explanatory material.

I'll double-check to verify that this is the case.

Bill

Jaap Keuter wrote:
Hi,

Indeed, the updates are good, but dropping the more extensive option descriptions is not what you want from a users guide. It is *the* place to go if an option needs clarification.

Thanx,
Jaap