Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Add restrictions to arguments of dumpcap

From: Sébastien Tandel <sebastien@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 10:10:13 -0300

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 03:05, Stephen Donnelly <stephen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Aaron Turner wrote:
> On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 8:59 PM, Michael Tüxen
> <Michael.Tuexen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On May 6, 2009, at 3:40 PM, Aaron Turner wrote:

> I think this is confusing to many people and is more likely to have
> unintended consequences.   Most users don't consider CLI option
> ordering to have special meaning.  Personally, I prefer Stephen's
> suggestion of directly linking the filter to the interface ala -i
> en0:"sctp && host a.b.c.d" if you want to get fancy.
>
> It also means the old style cli args could easliy be grand-fathered in
> (any interface without a specific filter uses the global filter).

Completely agree to define something which is explicitly linked to which interface the filter belongs. Ordering parameters is not intuitive.

I you do decide to go this way, ':' might not be the best delimiter
character to use. It is already used in libpcap interface names and
could cause parsing headaches.

I think some OSes use ':' in vlan interface names? Also ':' is used in
dag interface names to indicate sub streams, e.g. "dag0:2".

':' is indeed confusing. It is used by Linux to define virtual interfaces like eth0:1

Regards,
Sebastien Tandel