Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Add restrictions to arguments of dumpcap

From: Stephen Donnelly <stephen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 18:05:00 +1200
Aaron Turner wrote:
On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 8:59 PM, Michael T�xen
<Michael.Tuexen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On May 6, 2009, at 3:40 PM, Aaron Turner wrote:

I think this is confusing to many people and is more likely to have
unintended consequences.   Most users don't consider CLI option
ordering to have special meaning.  Personally, I prefer Stephen's
suggestion of directly linking the filter to the interface ala -i
en0:"sctp && host a.b.c.d" if you want to get fancy.

It also means the old style cli args could easliy be grand-fathered in
(any interface without a specific filter uses the global filter).

I you do decide to go this way, ':' might not be the best delimiter character to use. It is already used in libpcap interface names and could cause parsing headaches.

I think some OSes use ':' in vlan interface names? Also ':' is used in dag interface names to indicate sub streams, e.g. "dag0:2".

Stephen.
    Stephen Donnelly BCMS PhD           email: sfd@xxxxxxxxxx
    Endace Technology Ltd   	        phone: +64 7 839 0540
    Hamilton, New Zealand               cell:  +64 21 1104378