Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Getting wireless GUI to work on Linux

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 12:03:26 -0700
Joerg Mayer wrote:
> Hello Gerald,
>
> I intend to get the Wireless GUI (Airpcap GUI) in Wireshark to work on Linux.
> After the first step (commit 28285) that optionally #defines HAVE_AIRPCAP
> I ran into various violations of the Wireshark coding style in airpcap.h.
> The most trivial being the use of C++-style comments, then there is the use
> of Windows only types (PCHAR, UINT, ...). I haven't yet checked the other
> airpcap specific files, but I assume that similar problems will be found
> there as well. Is it OK for me to fix them or do you (or someone at Cace)
> want to do that in a way that is as compatible to the Cace internal coding
> style as possible?
> Another question: Is there a documentation of the API of the dynamically
> loaded dll? It currently looks to me that it would be easiest to "just"
> reimplement that API as it seems that in that case I wouldn't have to
> touch any of the GUI stuff (which is something that I'm *really* bad at :-)

Sounds great! Go ahead and update the data types in the Airpcap files.
We might want to give them a more generic name as well.

Anders pointed out a while back that the Airpcap GTK code is still using
gtk_combo_new. I have some updates for that that I haven't checked in
yet but hopefully that won't conflict with what you're doing.

The API is documented in Airpcap_Devpack/docs in the Airpcap Developer's
Pack. It's in the wireshark-win32-libs repository or you can download it
from http://staging.cacetech.com/downloads.html.

It looks like Kismet already has a lot of code for configuring wireless
adapters under Linux. We might want to contact Mike Kershaw about
avoiding code duplication.