Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Status of PDML output

From: Fulvio Risso <fulvio.risso@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 17:17:56 +0200
Hi.

On 05/05/2009 22.55, Seth Webster wrote:
Hi,

I am considering using the PDML output from tshark as input to a
system we are developing, but I am trying to find out how much it is
expected to change over the next year or so.  I saw in the Wireshark
docs the statement:

"The PDML specification is not officially released and Wireshark's
implementation of it is still in an early beta state, so please expect
changes in future Wireshark versions."

Does anyone have a sense for how much the PDML standard is likely to
change and very approximately what the timeline for it is?  Is there
active work on it?

Personally, I don't think I'll change the PDML format in the foreseeable future. The info we stored in there are reasonably simple, and most changes can be obtained simply by adding new tags (which does not break compatibility with old applications).

I tried a bunch of web searches, but all I could find was the actual
spec on nbee.org.  I couldn't find any FAQs, project timelines, or
even mailing lists to try and gauge how active it is.

still active, with (very) limited resources, as usual...

	fulvio

Thanks,
Seth Webster
MIT Lincoln Laboratory