Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Status of PDML output

From: Seth Webster <swebster@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 16:55:36 -0400
Hi,

I am considering using the PDML output from tshark as input to a system we are developing, but I am trying to find out how much it is expected to change over the next year or so. I saw in the Wireshark docs the statement:

"The PDML specification is not officially released and Wireshark's implementation of it is still in an early beta state, so please expect changes in future Wireshark versions."

Does anyone have a sense for how much the PDML standard is likely to change and very approximately what the timeline for it is? Is there active work on it?

I tried a bunch of web searches, but all I could find was the actual spec on nbee.org. I couldn't find any FAQs, project timelines, or even mailing lists to try and gauge how active it is.

Thanks,
Seth Webster
MIT Lincoln Laboratory
781-981-3247