Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Add restrictions to arguments of dumpcap

From: Michael Tüxen <Michael.Tuexen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 04:46:31 -0400
Dear all,

I'm implementing the support of simultaniously
capturing from multiple interfaces in dumpcap.
The first step, the support of writing in pcapng is done.

Now I need to be able to specify multiple interfaces
on the command line and also provide interface
specific options. I think something like

dumpcap -n -i lo0 -f udp -s 100 -y whatever -i en0 -s 0 -f sctp - y whatever

should be possible. So I would like to require that you
need to specify the -i options before -f, -s, and -y.
The values specified by -f, -s, and -y only apply to
the interface specified before using the -i option.
It is also required to specify -n for using pcapng.

What do you think? Is this acceptable?

Or would you prefer to have only one capture filter
and snap length for all interfaces? Having the same
link-type makes no sense.

I also would like to have either
one pipe
or a single or multiple interfaces.