Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Compilation errors while building the Wireshark sources

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 10:25:54 -0400
On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 5:59 AM, Abhik Sarkar <sarkar.abhik@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

Hi Rohan,

The distclean target cleans up any files made for a distribution... this
removes any generated stuff and keeps the sources untouched.

You can't compile a single file if you are changing the in-built dissectors
because all of the functionality is part of one big shared library and that
library needs to be relinked. I would like to point out however that the
build system "compiles" only changed sources (and a few other files) and
only re-links them... so, I normally find that if I change only a particular
dissector the re-build takes a only about a minute, but after a distclean it
takes a good 5-10 minutes (on my system).

Regards,
Abhik.

Just for the record:

The Windows build does *not* handle changed .h files and .h fie dependencies when deciding what needs to be recompiled.

So: if a .h file is changed, then either a complete rebuild is needed or you must manually force a recompile for any .c files using the .h file (E.G.: by deleting the .obj files corresponding to the .c files).

Doing this manually can easily miss something so use the manual procedure only if you are exactly sure what needs to be recompiled when a .h file changes.