Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Full-disclosure] SniffJoke 0.3 release andrequestfor feedba

From: "Sake Blok" <sake@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 20:54:32 +0200
Sebastien,

One of the tricks SniffJoke uses is to first determine how many hops there are to the destination and then it sends "bogus" traffic with a TTL that is just 1 lower. This means the receiving OS never gets to see that traffic, while wireshark does (when it's in between the sender and the receiving end).

If the trace is made at the receiving end and wireshark is not able to reassemble the stream, then that might be considered a bug. Does anyone use SniffJoke? If so, could you please make a capture at the sending and the receiving end?

Since WS does not know which of the packets will not arrive at the receiving end, I'm no fan of incorporating code to handle those bogus frames.

Cheers,
    Sake