Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Full-disclosure] SniffJoke 0.3 release and requestfor feedb

From: Sébastien Tandel <sebastien@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 14:28:54 -0300
   SniffJoke has a nice/interesting characteristic : It is *only* used by the sender *not* by the receiver.

   SniffJoke, thanks to some tricks - which *does not* have impact on the receiver's TCP/IP stack (for all OSes?) -, is able fool sniffers and some others network tools.

   I would expect wireshark seeing the traffic as the OS is able to see it ... IOW, if receiver's OS is able to re-assemble correctly the traffic, wireshark should be able to do so too. Therefore, I would consider this as a bug in wireshark since OSes (all?) would be able to reassemble the traffic without any problem. (Although the next question would be : who will spend time to analyze SniffJoke tricks and fixes the TCP dissector?)

   Also, I'm not convinced people will think that wireshark would consider it as a cracking tool since the receiver's OS is considering this SniffJoke's traffic as valid ...

Regards,
Sebastien