Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Adding a protocol under ONC-RPC

From: Andrew Kleinerman <verixnbi@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 13:24:02 -0700
Hello,

My current project is integrating a small protocol into Wireshark for
analysis and I feel a little out of my depth.  The protocol is sent
over TCP on a non-standard port and uses the Sun XDR RPC.  I went
through the step-by-step guide of creating a basic dissector, and
Wireshark will recognize it as the new protocol.  However, my problem
is that I cannot call dissect_rpc or dissect_rpc_tcp from my dissector
(I'm assuming for some good reason) to dissect the RPC.  So I'm
guessing I have to make the RPC dissector properly see it on a
different port (is that right?).

I made sure to initialize my protocol as an RPC using:

        rpc_init_prog(proto_foofs, FOO_FS, ett_foo_fs);

        /* Register the procedure tables */
        rpc_init_proc_table(FOO_HEADER, FOO_VERSION, foo_proc, hf_foo_proc);

Where

proto_foofs:
static int proto_s4fs_osd = -1;