Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] cat.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close

From: Harsha <inet.harsha@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 16:33:54 -0700
Hi all,

It is about 7-8 months since I had build Wireshark on my Windows XP
box running Visual C++  2005 EE. Today I updated Wireshark sources and
Cygwin and it is now failing with "cat.exe has encountered a problem
and needs to close.." (see attached screenshots). When I tell it not
to send the report 7 times, the build fails with the following log-

C:\wireshark>nmake -f Makefile.nmake all

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 8.00.50727.42

        "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\BIN\nmake.exe"
/  -f Makefile.nmake WIN_SETUP_OPT=--libverify process_libs

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 8.00.50727.42

ERROR: The contents of C:\wireshark-win32-libs\current_tag.txt is (unknown).
ERROR: It should be 2009-04-16.
ERROR: Do you need to run "nmake -f makefile.nmake setup"?

NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'c:\cygwin\bin\bash.EXE' : return code '0x1'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\VC\BIN\nmake.exe"' : return code '0x2'
Stop.

C:\wireshark>

I deleted cygwin and reinstalled it, but still the same problem.

I have done all the steps mentioned for VC++ 2005 as per-
http://ethereal.netmirror.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChSetupWin32.html

I googled around and it looks like no one else has had this problem.
So either I'm missing something or I suspect its the latest Cygwin
(see cat_cygwin.png that has the error details).

I set up another build environment on a Server 2003 machine with
Visual C++ 2008 EE and see the exact same problem.

For Visual C++ 2008 EE I used the instructions here-
http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChSetupWin32.html

Can someone please tell me what I'm missing or is this a bug? Any
pointers/ suggestions welcome.

Many thanks,
Harsha