Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] wireshark-win32-libs rev 233: /tags/2009

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 11:26:34 -0700
Bill Meier wrote:
> gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/viewvc.cgi?view=rev&root=Wireshark-win32-libs&revision=233
>>
>> User: gerald
>> Date: 2009/04/16 11:07 AM
>>
>> Log:
>>  Update the WinPcap Developer's Pack.
>>

> Compiling capture_if_details_dlg_win32.c with VC6 now errors out with a
> "can't find: Ntddndis.h"
>
> Digging into this [just a bit :) ]  I see that the updated Winpcap
> Developer's pack no longer has ntddndis.h in its' include directory.
>
> Since this is not an issue when compiling with VC9 I'm guessing that
> maybe the VC9 SDK has Ntddndis.h while the VC6 libraries do not.
>
> So: Is it the case that the WinPcap Developer's pack no longer
> supports VC6 ?
>
> If so, maybe this means that it's time that Wireshark also no longer
> supports VC6.
>

> Or: am I missing about how all this works....

According to the WinPcap changelog at
http://www.winpcap.org/misc/changelog.htm, a local version of Ntddndis.h
was included in releases up to (but not including) 4.1 beta2. This
version was missing some definitions that are present in the version of
Ntddndis.h that ships with the Microsoft Platform SDK.

The missing definitions are in capture_if_details_dlg_win32.c, but the
trick is to enable them if they're needed. I checked in a change which
should fix compilation for Visual C++ 6 plus its default platform SDK,
but it will fail if you have a newer platform SDK installed.

We might want to add a newer SDK, e.g. the Windows Server 2003 R2 SDK
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0BAF2B35-C656-4969-ACE8-E4C0C0716ADB&displaylang=en)
as a requirement for building under Visual C++ 6.