Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Dissector from metafile?

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 13:58:00 +0200
Hi,

You may want to look at Lua for that.

Thanx,
Jaap

Sent from my iPhone

On 17 apr 2009, at 12:52, "Tamas Somogyi" <tsomogyi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

I'm new in Wireshark development; I've just coded my first dissector for one of our company-specific protocols, and I'm going to write the next.

However my impression is, that simple protocols might be described
pretty well by structured texts/files (e.g. XML files), because most of
my code is just about formatting the data (texts, values, etc.) and
defining the tree structure.
Defining protocol dissectors in text metafiles for Wireshark would have
many advantages: no need for installing the whole development
environment for adding just a simple protocol, moreover it would be no
software development work any more to add protocol to Wireshark.

Is there any existing possibility to define dissector from meta-file
instead of coding, or is there any ongoing development in this
direction?

Thanks,
Tamas