Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] slow startup caused by splash_update?

From: Jeremy Linton <jli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 09:33:49 -0500
Jeff Morriss wrote:
How are you accessing the system where you're running Wireshark?  ssh?
It is a LAN connection, but its not over SSH. The machine wireshark is running on is a vmware guest. It's a little on the slow side, but generally unusable.

Maybe Wireshark can/should disable the splash screen when run over ssh? ssh doesn't imply a slow connection but it's probably reasonably common.
Maybe any kind of network startup should have the splash updating scaled back. Although at this point I guess most remote X traffic does flow over SSH. I guess you can detect remote connections via GdkDisplay->use_xshm or XShmQueryExtension(), detecting if they are SSH is probably a little harder.