Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Filtering

From: "Maynard, Chris" <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 15:32:20 -0400
As far as I know, anything added via proto_tree_add_text() is non-filterable.
Below from doc/README.developer:

proto_tree_add_text()
---------------------
proto_tree_add_text() is used to add a label to the GUI tree.  It will
contain no value, so it is not searchable in the display filter process.
This function was needed in the transition from the old-style proto_tree
to this new-style proto_tree so that Wireshark would still decode all
protocols w/o being able to filter on all protocols and fields.
Otherwise we would have had to cripple Wireshark's functionality while we
converted all the old-style proto_tree calls to the new-style proto_tree
calls.  In other words, you should not use this in new code unless you've got
a specific reason (see below).

This can also be used for items with subtrees, which may not have values
themselves - the items in the subtree are the ones with values.

For a subtree, the label on the subtree might reflect some of the items
in the subtree.  This means the label can't be set until at least some
of the items in the subtree have been dissected.  To do this, use
'proto_item_set_text()' or 'proto_item_append_text()':

- Chris

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this email are confidential
and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient. If you receive this
email in error, please delete it from your system immediately and
notify us either by email, telephone or fax. You should not copy,
forward, or otherwise disclose the content of the email.