Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] dissector plugin help

From: Brian Oleksa <oleksab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 00:12:52 -0400
Olivier (wsge)

I really appreciate your quick response.

I have added the following line to my Makefile.nmake
mt.exe -manifest helen.dll.manifest - outputresource:helen.dll;2

This does indeed create a helen.dll.manifest file. I take that along with the helen.dll
file and copy it into my plugins directory on another (deployment) machine.

I am still getting the error:
"Couldn't load module", The specified module could not be found.

Am I missing something here..?

Attached is all my code and files in the helen.zip file.
Also attached is my ports file that goes in the root of C:  (c:\ports.txt)

Some things have changed from my last e-mail.

I downloaded the source wireshark-1.1.2-SVN-26844.
I built wireshark using the Visual Studio 2005 Command prompt.
I put my plugin in place and it too builds fine and runs great on the development machine.
I have no problems running my software and dissecting packets.

But when I copy the helen.dll.manifest and the helen.dll to another machine I get
"Couldn't load module", The specified module could not be found.

Any thoughts..?

Thank you very much for your help.

Brian

wsgd wrote:
I think the answer is into your first mail :
http://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/200902/msg00013.html

To include the manifest inside the dll :

mt.exe -manifest <dll_name>.dll.manifest - outputresource:<dll_name>.dll;2

Also, into proto_reg_handoff_helen,
 if you have  many ports,
 you are calling many times :
- data_handle = find_dissector("data");     ---> useless
- helen_handle = create_dissector_handle(dissect_helen, proto_helen);
---> I do not think it works

Olivier

Brian Oleksa a écrit :

Olivier (wsgd)

I fixed the problem in the code that you found. Thanks again for finding
this.
I tested it on the development machine and it worked great.!!

I then took the created helen.dll file and dropped it on a deploy
machine that is running the same version of wireshark that I developed
against
only to find that it "Couldn't load module", The specified module could
not be found.

Any suggestions or thoughts on this one..?

Thanks again for all your help.

Brian

wsgd wrote:

Hello,

Into proto_reg_handoff_helen,
 you try to fopen("/root/ports", "r"),
 which certainly fails on windows,
 so you call exit(1).

Olivier

Brian Oleksa a écrit :

Wiresharkers

I have followed these instructions: (I used both of these as one was
more clear than the other on certain tasks).
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/IP/custom_dissector.aspx
http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChSetupWin32.html

I am using:

MSVC_VARIANT=MSVC2008EE

I then verify_tools, install libraries (nmake -f Makefile.nmake
setup), distclean and build wireshark with *NO *problems.

I then test wireshark and it does indeed start up with *NO *problems.

I then create my wireshark dissector code, make files etc.*
(NOTE: This runs on Linux FC-9 with NO problems. If I take the
attached helen.zip file go to my
linux box, do a make install and put the helen.so file in the plugin
directory everything works fine.)
*

I drop my code in place. C:\wireshark\plugins\helen
The name of my wireshark dissector is called helen.

>From the C:\wireshark\plugins\helen directory I do the following:
nmake -f Makefile.nmake distclean
nmake -f Makefile.nmake all

I have NO errors and it does indeed create a *helen.dll* file. (Which
I believe is what I want).

I drop this helen.dll file in the following directory:
C:\wireshark\wireshark-gtk2\plugins\1.1.4HELEN-DISSECTOR

I start up wireshark (by invoking wireshark.exe) the splash screen
appears for a second than disappears. So it never start up.
It does not provide me with a error message.

I tried the following work around (click on link below) but had NO luck.
http://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/200902/msg00013.html

So at this point...I am stuck.

Attached is all my code (helen.zip). Again, this same code works on my
fedora core 9 box.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Brian Oleksa