Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] dissector plugin help

From: wsgd <wsgd@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 20:50:13 +0100
Hello,

Into proto_reg_handoff_helen,
you try to fopen("/root/ports", "r"),
which certainly fails on windows,
so you call exit(1).

Olivier

Brian Oleksa a �crit :
Wiresharkers

I have followed these instructions: (I used both of these as one was more clear than the other on certain tasks).
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/IP/custom_dissector.aspx
http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChSetupWin32.html

I am using:

MSVC_VARIANT=MSVC2008EE

I then verify_tools, install libraries (nmake -f Makefile.nmake setup), distclean and build wireshark with *NO *problems.

I then test wireshark and it does indeed start up with *NO *problems.

I then create my wireshark dissector code, make files etc.*
(NOTE: This runs on Linux FC-9 with NO problems. If I take the attached helen.zip file go to my linux box, do a make install and put the helen.so file in the plugin directory everything works fine.)
*

I drop my code in place. C:\wireshark\plugins\helen
The name of my wireshark dissector is called helen.

From the C:\wireshark\plugins\helen directory I do the following:
nmake -f Makefile.nmake distclean
nmake -f Makefile.nmake all

I have NO errors and it does indeed create a *helen.dll* file. (Which I believe is what I want).

I drop this helen.dll file in the following directory:
C:\wireshark\wireshark-gtk2\plugins\1.1.4HELEN-DISSECTOR

I start up wireshark (by invoking wireshark.exe) the splash screen appears for a second than disappears. So it never start up.
It does not provide me with a error message.

I tried the following work around (click on link below) but had NO luck.
http://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/200902/msg00013.html

So at this point...I am stuck.

Attached is all my code (helen.zip). Again, this same code works on my fedora core 9 box.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Brian Oleksa
Software Developer