Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Memory Leak

Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 17:12:10 +0000
Hi Andy,

Yes it is written in C++, everytime i have new, i use delete in the same function in the dll. I have a function that uses malloc for a char * to return to the dissector setting a char * variable to use in proto_tree_add_text and then i want to send it back to the dll to a function that is:

void ReleaseBuffer( void * buffer )
{
     free(buffer);
}

casting the char * in the dissector call to this dll function.

Greg

---- Andy Lawman <ALawman@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

=============
Isn't your DLL written in C++? You're not mixing new & free are you?
Storage got with new must be returned with delete, new [ ] with delete [ ]
but only malloc() with free().

Andy.

<gogrady@xxxxxxxxx>
Developer support list for Wireshark <wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

bcc

Subject
Re: [Wireshark-dev] Memory Leak

<gogrady@xxxxxxxxx>
Please respond to : Developer support list for Wireshark
<wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
25/03/2009 14:22

Hmm, we'll this is the first time i am working with memory and am just
learning all about it. In those examples they seem to allocate and free in
the same function, but i cant do that. In my dll i have one function that
allocates memory and passes a char * back to the dissector to set a
variable with it, then i have another function that frees it in the dll
(pass it the char * and free it with free((void *)variable);) but that
also gives me an error, so i'm not sure how and where to free the memory.

Greg

---- Gianluca Varenni <gianluca.varenni@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

=============
If the memory is allocated within the DLL, it should be freed from within
the DLL (i.e. you should provide a function exported by the DLL to free
such
memory).

Allocating memory with malloc in a DLL and free'ing it from outside the
DLL
is bad mojo.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235460(VS.80).aspx

Have a nice day