Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Memory Leak

Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 14:22:48 +0000
Hmm, we'll this is the first time i am working with memory and am just learning all about it. In those examples they seem to allocate and free in the same function, but i cant do that. In my dll i have one function that allocates memory and passes a char * back to the dissector to set a variable with it, then i have another function that frees it in the dll (pass it the char * and free it with free((void *)variable);) but that also gives me an error, so i'm not sure how and where to free the memory.

Greg

---- Gianluca Varenni <gianluca.varenni@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If the memory is allocated within the DLL, it should be freed from within
the DLL (i.e. you should provide a function exported by the DLL to free such
memory).

Allocating memory with malloc in a DLL and free'ing it from outside the DLL
is bad mojo.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235460(VS.80).aspx

Have a nice day
GV