Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] one possible way to speed up filtering

From: Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 11:08:00 -0700
On 3/23/09, didier <dgautheron@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  There's still some small stuff which could go but It would only improve
>  wireshark speed by 20-40%, I'm not sure it's worth the time.

Even that would be worth it, I think ...

>  A big change is the per packet protocols bitfield but even if it's in
>  rather good shape it triggers a lot of existing bugs in dissectors,
>  breaks plugins (I changed hfinfo structure) and so on.
>
>  The last change is the packet list but it's a ugly hack and needs a lot
>  of work.
>
>  On the other hand I don't know if Wireshark speed is a problem for most
>  users, for a trace with a couple of ten thousand packets its current
>  speed is ok.
>
>  Maybe it's a prejudice, at first I thought that running Wireshark on
>  captures with millions packets was stupid, about using the right tool
>  and so on, but it's surprisingly useful.

I routinely deal with captures with millions of packets, and would
love it if Wireshark was quicker. When I looked at these issues back
in 2003 or thereabouts there was lots of low hanging fruit. However,
these days I lack the time to look into these issues.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe