Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Is 'mark all packets' functionality widely used (or is it us

From: didier <dgautheron@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 17:01:19 +0100
Hi,
Le dimanche 22 mars 2009 ᅵ 17:16 +0800, yami a ᅵcrit :
> I see. Thanks!
>
> Of course we can mark the excluded ones and save 'unmarked packets'
> for this scenario, however I feel 'saving unmarked' is not intuitive
> for end users.
>
> On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 3:51 PM, Stephen Fisher
> <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>         On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 03:08:05PM +0800, yami wrote:
>
>         > I can not figure out why marking all packets is a useful
>         > functionality. Could anyone kindly give some use cases?

An other use is:
you apply a filter, mark all packets, maybe unmark some of them, then
reset the filter and use 'find next mark', 'find previous mark' for
moving quickly between them because what you really want it's looking at
packets just before or just after the marked ones.

>         You can mark all packets, then unmark certain ones before saving.

Didier