Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] one possible way to speed up filtering

From: ronnie sahlberg <ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 19:07:13 +1100
Another way to greatly speed up filtering would be to pick up and clomplete the work to make it possible to use ep_* memory
for all field types when dissecting a packet.

When wireshark dissects a packet it performs a massive amount of malloc()/free().
This was partially addressed when I added the SLAB_ allocator in slab.h eons ago.
This did improve performance very significantly at that time, but there are still speedups to gain, though not as low hanging anymore.

One thing that could make dissection faster is if we can get rid of all usage of SLAB for the field_info type and make it use cheap and fast
ep_ allocated memory instead.

This would mainly be stuff down in the epan/ftypes directory.
I remember I started preparing some of the functions there to allow a migration to ep_ allocation but did not do all of them.
One I remember would be problematic was the pcre one.

The first step would be to analyze all codepaths where data is created by calling into the epan/ftypes helpers and make sure the scope
of useage for these are valid if they are allocated with an ep_ scope.

Second would be to get rid of all the use of SLAB for field_info and just rely on ep_ allocations.

This would be more problematic though since there are instances when a tree of field_info is created but the tree is valid and referenced across several packets/the entire capture. I never had time to analyze this properly but if the cause is identified, maybe using se_ allocations for the second style of field_info allocations, which scope to use identified by a parameter to the functions?