Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] XML parsing

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 17:25:46 -0400

Hi Abhik,

Sorry, I guess I mean: what is the earliest version of glib that supports the APIs you're talking about?

For Windows we don't have a problem because we distribute glib with Wireshark, but all other OS's rely on the currently-installed glib. "configure.in" currently enforces glib > 2.4 . Increasing that may be OK but of course it means some number of people will have to go upgrade their glib (so doing it shouldn't be taken lightly).

Regards,
Jeff

Abhik Sarkar wrote:
Hi Jeff,

I meant version of glib which is part of the current set of libraries used to build the SVN version (in particular wireshark-win32-libs). There are a few different ways of parsing XML used in various parts of WS, and I wanted to use an existing API without having to introduce a new dependency (but also without having to use any parser generators) and it seems to be possible using the mentioned functionality.

Thanks,
Abhik.

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 6:52 PM, Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws <http://jeff.morriss.ws>@gmail.com <http://gmail.com>> wrote:

    Abhik Sarkar wrote:
     > Hi Everyone,
     >
     > This is a question specifically to the core developers. Would it
    be OK
     > to use the GMarkupParser facility which is provided by the latest
    glib
     > that is part of the required libraries for the development version? I
     > want to use it to read XML configuration files for a generally
    available
     > dissector.

    Define "latest."  (I looked through the GLIB documentation and their
    list of symbols new to each release and at least some of the markup
    functions have been around for a while.)