Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 27748:/trunk/plugins/profinet/ /trun
From: Guy Harris <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 17:19:16 -0700
On Mar 16, 2009, at 4:33 PM, Ulf Lamping wrote:

I'm not an expert on this stuff, so it might be easy to rewrite the
existing CRC stuff - but I'm really not an expert on this ...
I'm not, either, but I updated the comment in epan/crc16.c to point to
Ross Williams' Web site, where he has links to a text and an HTML
version of his paper.  It has a copy of the algorithm used to generate
the CRC16 tables for a given polynomial; if you can use it to generate
the table for the PROFINET CRC16 (so that the numbers are the same as
the ones in the plugins/profinet/crc16.c file), and make the changes
to epan/crc16.c to expose the CRC16 routine that takes a table as an
argument, that should let you use the libwireshark CRC16 routine.
(In addition, reading the paper would make you more of an expert on it
- more of an expert than me, at least. :-))